It was exceptionally fortunate to have David Fearne there. As K&A Trust chair he was able to keep people informed. It was re-assuring to know that anything done to the towpath would be done to exceptionally high standards and must preserve the heritage of the K&A waterways. The CRT are GOOD people.
- Nov 2014 : £114M CCAG Money announced.
- 30 Dec 2014: CycleBath hold workshop to determine their request to the council’s Cycle Forum on the 7th of Jane 2015 for what the BaNES bid should be.https://docs.google.com/document/d/1yAZSp_9Tkp9DCE_YUEMO_uCpXmdekMNX4_b4i8yRgIY/edit?usp=sharing
- 12 Jan 2015: With much negotiation this is the final letter: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1qgaIvltlwrtmd0fjVQN1S9S_NeQebB-Ig3fRxgMgX2I/edit?usp=sharing ads the council officer has decided the CCAG bid will deliver two new bridges and the repair to the towpath. LEP money would be bid for to provide the Weston and Newbridge Hill routes CycleBath desperately want done.
- March 2015: £3.8M CCAG money awarded. Cycle Forum is held, CycleBath begins it’s work on it’s own proposal for expanding the CCAG Bath East to connect better with communities. https://cyclebath.org.uk/ccag-bath-east/ A public consultation is promised.
- Elections blow things up. No consultation is held.
- Before the CCAG money came along, council had allocated £180k to upgrade Larkhall path and part of towpath in the 2015/16 budget. This can still be used to ‘fix’ towpath connections.
- The Canal and River Trust, Sustrans and the council have been trying to find money to do urgent maintenance on the K&A towpath for many years. CCAG solved this for them. https://cyclebath.org.uk/2015/06/17/the-towpath-and-getting-things-wrong/
- Towpath is cared for and owned by the CRT. They are unbelievably tough when it comes to what is done to the towpath.